Whether this is your first or tenth home purchase, shopping for a new home is…
5 Strategies to Save for a Home
Buying a home is a big purchase, one that takes time to save up to afford. Many homebuyers use a mortgage to finance the majority of the cost, but still need to save up a down payment. Here are five ways to build up your savings to get you into a new house sooner.
- Start with a budget. You can’t save for a home more until you know where all of your money is going. If you do not have a budget already, this is the perfect time to begin. Track your spending for a couple of months to see how much you spend on necessary items like rent, insurance, and utilities, as well as variable expenses, such as groceries, gas, and entertainment.
- Pay your savings first. If you have a specific monthly savings goal, set up an automatic transfer to your savings account for the day or two after you get paid each week or month. Paying yourself first will ensure that saving money is a top priority.
- Lower your discretionary spending. Having a budget will help you decide where you can cut down on your spending. If you visit the coffee shop each morning on your way to work, cut it down to just once a week and transfer what you would have spent on lattes to your savings. You can apply this logic to small purchases like coffee or restaurants or larger purchases like a vacation or new car.
- Increase your income. If you have been at your company for a while and are performing well, it may be the right time to ask your boss for a raise. You can also look for a promotion or higher-paying position if you are ready for the challenge. Instead of increasing your lifestyle spending to match your raise, pocket the difference as savings.
- Start a side hustle. If you have cut your expenses and maximized your income at work but still want to save more, picking up a side hustle gig can provide increased earnings and flexibility. Drive for a rideshare app like Uber or Lyft, pick up groceries or food through Instacart or DoorDash, or sell your unused items on social media or eBay to bring in some extra money.
Using these strategies to maximize your savings will get you ready to make that down payment and purchase a home in no time. It still takes hard work and discipline, but the moment you turn the key to walk into a home that you own is well worth the effort.